The American Friends of the Episcopal Church of the Sudans, founded in 2005, is a network of individuals, churches, dioceses, and other organizations that seeks to focus attention on the needs and priorities of the Episcopal Church of Sudan of South Sudan (ECSS) and enable American friends to assist the ECSS in meeting the needs of the Sudanese people.
What AFRECS Does
- Fosters a network of people and organizations interested in assisting, and being in relationship with, our brothers and sisters in the Episcopal Church of South Sudan (ECSS); works to strengthen this network and enhance its effectiveness in responding to the needs of the people of Sudan.
- Provides information on relationships that now exist between U.S. partners – Episcopal parishes, dioceses and organizations – and Sudanese partners – dioceses and the Province of the ECSS, and on the projects and activities undertaken through them; works to encourage the formation of new relationships between U.S. and Sudanese partners.
- Carries out advocacy work, in collaboration with other non-profits, on behalf of peace and justice in Sudan.
- Maintains an up-to-date website that provides timely information on the needs and concerns of the ECSS and makes it available to a worldwide audience; includes on the website information on mission trips to Sudan, visits by Sudanese to the U.S., project proposals from ECSS entities, and ways to support our friends in the ECSS.
- Encourages visits to ECSS dioceses and the provincial office in Sudan; provides information on travel logistics and the "how to’s" of initiating a visit.
- Offers conferences and symposia to inform AFRECS members and other interested parties on issues facing the church in Sudan.
- Publishes a newsletter focusing on developments in the ECSS, cooperative endeavors between Episcopalians in the U.S. and Sudan, and AFRECS initiatives.